Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Random musings following a busy absence

Hoping to expand my library of pet names, here are a few currently undergoing beta testing:

poobrainz, ass-slut, thumb head

I'll let you know how they go.

Yesterday I stumbled upon this entry from workplacepsychology.net asking "What gets you up in the morning?" and "What keeps you up at night?” (keeping in mind this is a blog dedicated to organizational psych).

Of course, my first thought was that what got me up in the morning was my alarm clock, my need to make money…the same things, more or less, that kept me up at night (anxieties about time + finances).

Taking the question more seriously y though…
What I WANT to wake up for, would be art. To continue chasing the gratification I receive from helping artists I really admire and appreciate for their creativity and skill succeed. Also, to share and spread their work not only for their benefit, but for the joy and inspiration I know that they can bestow on others who see their work. Even better, to bring that sort of joy and spark of creativity to people who don’t normally get to experience it.

What keeps me up at night? Fears that what I do is not enough. That I spread my focus too thinly or perhaps that I let fear and insecurity control my decisions rather than passion and honesty to myself.

A lot of thoughts have been cooking in my brain recently now that artists are coming in to pick up their work and the gallery is more or less closed. More time to read art criticism and re- immersion into the New York art world (via job hunting, mostly) now that the gallery no longer consumes all my time the way it once did (that was a wonderful time, btw) has got me sorting through some contradictory thoughts about the concept of “outsider” art (wtf is an outsider, particularly in the arts, really?) and the importance of artwork being challenging.

Tomorrow maybe..

No comments: