Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Trivial things

Now that I'm out of school, working only part time and "single" I find myself with a lot more free time. A lot of that time has been dedicated to television (Arrested Development and Dexter season 3...mostly) Neither of my internships have yet to begin, and I'm getting a feeling that the one that would have covered my metro may be falling through. (fuck you Craigslist). Anyway, I have some thoughts I want to share.

I've been reading a lot of nytimes.com at work (my job is mind-numbing otherwise) and usually I try to get some update on what's going on with health care. Well, I don't have much of an answer on that, but time to myself has allowed me to reflect on obesity in America. Obesity is obviously a major player in our healthcare costs, but I don't think that greater access to health providers or "healthy eating" seminars will actually fix the problem. I really don't believe that the reasons why Americans are so fat is because they are irresponsible with their diets or "lazy." Obesity seems to me as a symptom of many of the bigger social issues we have, in particular the huge disparity in incomes that we have between the very very affluent and the masses of those living below the "middle." I mean, isn't the biggest factor behind obesity being poor? Not very well stated, but I mean, it's well known that the majority of the obese are generally coming from the lower income brackets.
I guess this concerns me since part of the health care reform is to lower costs over time, obesity being one of the most expensive problems, but I don;t see how more access to healthcare can really make an effective change with that? It seems like...more of a social issue where families with parents working long hours for meager wages aren't going to have the time, funds or energy to go shopping for fresh groceries each week and turning those into healthy meals at least a few times each week. McDonald's and Burger King are also very creepily cheap....spicy chicken sandwich is only $1!!!! How is that even possible?

My other thought was that vampire romances are really painfully idiotic. Watching them gain social prominence is about as painful as having the heel of a 5 inch pump pressed onto my eyes. Okay, that's actually an exaggeration, being that I shuddered a bit as I thought that statement over. I would say....as painful as not eating for 2 days. seriously.

No comments: